Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My confession - I am a packrat

I confess. I am a packrat. But to my defence, it's mostly all practical stuff. Nothing that I couldn't use if it sat long enough and I had a use for it. How do I know that I'm a packrat? We'll, by spending about 3 hours in the basement doing some tidying; I managed to round up 6 large
garbage bags of "stuff".

The old tent that Mom and Dad's neighbours gave me in the late 80's when they moved... gone! It worked great as long as it didn't rain, then it always seemed to drop right on my head. I have another (2 actually) so I'm still ok for camping next summer.

The gigantic Shop Vac that was perfectly fine (if it just had a new motor) and someone was throwing out... gone! After over a year of sitting there waiting for me to get a price on getting the motor fixed... it's off to the scrap pile.

The grocery bag full of sand... I don't know where that came from. How does a bag of sand make it into the basement of our house?

Here's my system.... everything gets categorized into 4 areas... keep, eBay, yard sale or trash. I pick it up and ask myself "Do I need this?", then if I don't, I ask myself "Can I sell this for anything on eBay?" If not, it goes to the yard sale pile for next summer and if it's not even
yard sale worthy, then it just goes to the trash. It's actually quite freeing to de-clutter.

Why am I purging? Have you seen the size of those kids' toys??? We thought we had a big house until strollers started being wheeled in, massive Little Tykes toys took root, and stuffed animals started their quiet march to Kate's room. Wow, does this stuff pile up quickly. Lets hope she enjoys books... they take a lot less space!


Comments:
sigh. I should do the same purge, but can't seem to find the energy. someday soon, maybe during the first snowstorm...
 
I don't often comment on blog but for Scott to say that most of his stuff in the basement is practical....I don't think so!

He is doing much better at letting go of things, the policy that we have used for the last year or so is for something new to come into the house, something has to leave...and they have to be the same approximate size..he can't bring in a 5 foot tool of some kind and then get rid of a CD.

Lots of love Jen (of Scott and Jen)
 
OH DOESN'T IT FEEL GREAT NOW THAT YOU HAVE TAKEN THAT BIG STEP AND DECLUTTERED??????????

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THROWING OUT THINGS!!!!!!!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]