Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Our last organized day

It was a bit chilly today in Beijing but still a sunny day. We headed off early this morning and went to Tianamen Square then the Forbidden City. Tianamen Square was disappointing as we were constantly hounded by street vendors and it really was overwhelming from a personal space and pickpocket concern. I did get a couple of good deals on things though. We all have this image of Tianamen Square in our heads form the massacre, but it doesn't look like that at all. Alot of buildings in it than I pictured. And alot more open. I pictured more of a large wide open square with some type of privacy hedge or wall around it but there's just a small steel fence around it and people were hopping over it all the time.

A building at Tianamen Square.




Next, we crossed under the road to the Forbidden City. This is a huge "compound" where emperors used to live. It was off limits to locals hence the forbidden name. Impressive, but after the Great Wall, not much compares. Busy there as well, but no vendors inside.



We just got back from a Peking Duck supper. Interesting to say the least. Jason, here;s the pics you wanted.

Yep, thats a ducks head. Nope, I didnt eat it... Just kissed it to wish it a good afterlife.
Some mystery food. Alot of garlic.
Tomorrow is a free day and we're off to do some Christmas shopping at a couple of markets.


Thursday is fly home day. lets hope for good weather.


Kate is progressing well. She decided to crawl last night so she is now a menace to everything in the room. Amazing how one minute she is sitting, the next minute is a full crawl. We are so happy with her progress since we got her. She's slept thru every night and has generally been a joy to be around. No major tantrums or disasters so far.


That's it from here... off to have a few local beer with some others in the room to celebrate our trip.

The "birdsnest". The stadium for the Olympics that will host the openign and closing ceremonies... Looks kinda like a birds next, hence the name. Seats 95,000 people.

Can't wait to be home! Less than 3 days to go!

Comments:
We also are counting down the hours to have you guys back home.We+re on our way out the door to work.You will be busy now with Kate crawling,LOL Mum and Dad!!!
 
The Bird's Nest is impressive...our guide told us they were doing tours of it. That would have been cool to see for sure.

You're almost home. Hope your house is child proof. Our CQ girl is into EVERYTHING!!!
 
We felt the same about the square. I was hounded for photos as I was the only blonde in the group and the locals all followed me around...Really weird!! Mike had the beak of the duck on his plate and was chewing on it before he realized what it was!!! YUCK!! Happy travelling and see you soon in NB!

Barbara
 
Hey guys!

We are on the rock but still following your blog...awesome pics!! I hear you on kids getting into everything...I am babysitting Hannah today! :) Have a great last few days, safe journey home and we will see you in the new year!! :)

J&J
 
Enjoy the final few hours!! I remember that feeling of being anxious to get home, and then a couple days after we were home, I missed China and our group! *grin*

If I don't get a chance to post again, just wanted to wish the 3 of you a safe journey home, and a VERY Merry Christmas!! I'll look forward to meeting Kate when I come to the Maritimes in the Spring.
 
Safe travels back. I'll be waving at you as we drive by Moncton on Friday evening.
 
I can't believe it is almost over all ready, I am sure you are looking forward to getting home.

I guess there was an upside to being at T.square in the pouring rain.
 
Scott,

I am so proud of you. You should have ate it but putting it that close to you is impressive in itself. I can't wait to see you guys in the new year.

P.S. Don't forget the watch(s). I don't mind the price.

Take care and fly safe.
 
Just wanted to wish you a safe trip back home. I hope that Kate does well on the plane. We wish we could be at the airport to see you get home but February will have to do. I look forward to seeing you all then!!

Jen, Kyle, Katie and Jake
 
Safe travels, Scott, Jen and Kate!!
Will see you at the airport!

Enjoy your last few hrs in China and can't wait to see all three of you off that plane!!!!

Take Care
The Blanchard's
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]